Friday, September 11, 2015

Remembering 9/11 as a Nation United

       I remember exactly what I was doing on 9/11, I remember watching the horror unfold live.It was heartbreaking for me and I did not know any of those who died. I can only imagine how it was for those who lost loved ones on that day. It was also very scary to have an attack of that magnitude happen on our soil. I also felt the sense of unity and love in our nation on that day and many that followed. We were a nation united, sadly united in grief but also in determination that we would do whatever it takes to prevent something so horrific from ever happening again on our soil.  
     
     As I see all of the tributes on the news and on Facebook many things go through my mind.  The main thing on my mind though is even though we should honor all those who lost their lives that day, I wonder if the ones who lost loved ones on that day really want to remember that day? I wonder if they really want to see all of the footage of that day every time they turn on the news or get on facebook? I know it makes my heart hurt to see the footage and it makes my heart hurt seeing the pictures of the burning buildings...and I lost no loved ones that day. So, if I had lost a loved one I am not sure I could handle reliving the grief of that day again every year.  I am pretty sure I couldn't handle it. 

     That being said, my feelings are that I will honor those who died on that day, pray for those they left behind and I think that what we should remember is the unity we felt in our great nation in the midst of such great tragedy. Right after we were attacked, we became a Nation United, that is what we need to remember as we honor those who lost their lives that day. We need to remember those who rushed to their aid, those who were quick to respond to the needs of the loved ones and  the love that we felt as a country that night, the love we felt for each other. I remember that love, I remember how so many prejudices just fell away and we all united together that day.  That is my tribute to September 11, 2001.

    God Bless our great nation and may He comfort those who were touched personally by this great tragedy those many years ago.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment