Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Shopping Carts for Food and Children Only

     Those who know me know that one of my biggest pet peeves is pets in the grocery store. To add to that also are any animals in shopping carts where I put my food. I have said for a long time that stores should have special carts for those with service animals.

     I have called my local Wal Mart about this because I see dogs in carts all of the time. I have complained only to be told that they cannot ask for papers to make sure the animal is a service animal. They can ask two questions and that is all. So I wondered how does this problem get fixed because one store in my town, Safeway, does not allow animals in their carts or at least is more selective about how they handle this issue.

     I have complained to the local health department regarding animals in the store and have been told that they can't stop the stores from allowing that. So I decided to call the Department of Justice American's With Disabilities Act to find out how stores can stop allowing people with pets into the store.

    Today I called and received my answer. I was told by the ADA that stores cannot ask to see papers and can only ask the two questions regarding animals in the grocery store. That was disappointing so I asked the lady how they distinguish whether it is a pet or service animal. I told her that many people take their pets to the store in my town. The lady said sadly many people do that and there's not much that can be done. I told her that was a bummer because in the grocery store where I live people's animals have peed on the floor. She told me if an animal is not house trained the store does not have to allow it in. That was nice to know.

    I was still disappointed that people are allowed to put animals in the shopping carts especially pets. I asked her if people at least have to put down some kind of pad or something when they put their service animal in the shopping cart. She did not miss a beat and told me that service animals are not to be placed in shopping carts. Shopping carts are meant for food and children. She told me where to find it on the ADA website FAQ so I thanked her and looked it up.

     Finally this can be put to a stop hopefully. I have no problem with people bringing their service animals with them. I know it is necessary. I also wondered many times how the animal would be of any help if placed in a shopping cart. I also found out that service animals must be house trained and well behaved in the store. They can't sniff the food etc.

    The people who take their pets to the store will hopefully have to keep them home or carry them if they wish to continue lying. Shopping carts are for food and children, animals no allowed.

2 comments:

  1. For smaller service pets, those carry bags or purses work great. I wish more people would use them. I think it is sad when people take advantage of a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, if people would just do what they are supposed to it would be so much better.

      Delete